Germany coup plot – level 3
On Wednesday, the German police arrested 25 people on suspicion of a plan to overthrow the government and seize power in a violent far-right coup.
The arrests happened during raids across the country, and more than 3,000 police and security forces took part from 11 German states.
The suspects included active military members and people with links to extremist conspiracy groups; these groups don’t recognize the legitimacy of modern day Germany. They insist that the larger Deutsche Reich still exists despite the Nazi’s defeat in World War II.
Police suspect the plotters of actual plans to storm the German federal parliament with a small armed group. The plotters focused on recruiting military members and police officers as they hoarded military hardware and holding drills. Local police also arrested suspects in Austria and Italy.
Difficult words: conspiracy group (people who secretly plan to do something unlawful or harmful), legitimacy (the fact that something is legal), hoard (to store things and hide them).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos