Germany Shooting – level 1
A man attacks two bars in Hanau, Germany. The city has 100,000 people. It lies about 12 miles from Frankfurt, Germany. The man kills nine people. He injures many other people. Some of the people are Iranian.
The police want to know who the man is. The police check street cameras. Witnesses tell the police what they see.
The police find out who the man is. He is 43 years old. The police come to his house. The man is dead. The police find the man’s mother. She is dead, too.
Officials say that the shooting is terrorism. Officials say that the man has strong ideas about politics. He does not like immigrants.
Difficult words: witness (a person who sees or hears something important), terrorism (when people kill other people because they have different ideas and opinions), immigrant (a person who comes to live in another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos