Germany shuts down all nuclear power plants – level 1
Last Sunday, Germany stops using its last three nuclear power stations. It is part of the country’s plan to only use renewable energy by 2035.
Germany wants to close down all its power stations last summer. It does not happen because Russia attacks Ukraine. Energy prices go up. People worry that there will not be enough energy.
Germany decides to stop using nuclear power after the Fukushima accident in Japan in 2011. In the past, nuclear power makes up one-third of Germany’s energy. Now it’s only 6%. Renewable energy now makes up 44%.
Some people think that Germany will have to use nuclear power again if it wants to stop using fossil fuels by 2045.
Difficult words: nuclear power station (a factory which makes electricity by breaking small things called atoms), renewable energy (energy which comes from sun, wind, water or heat), fossil fuel (coal, oil or gas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What type of renewable energy has Germany used to replace nuclear power?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.