Ghana LGBT+ law – level 3
In Ghana, the so-called ‘Family Values Bill’ plans to limit already strict anti-LGBT+ laws that criminalize same-sex relationships.
LGBT+ activists call the bill ‘Anti-Human Bill’ because it means that a person who fights for LGBT+ rights could face prison time of up to 10 years. If the government passes the law, those who hold out as lesbian, gay, non-binary, transgender, and transsexual, can be three to five years in prison. Those who receive or perform surgery for gender reassignment will have the same punishment.
Critics say that the bill pushes no family values, and it breaks the wholeness of the country. However, it has strong support among lawmakers, and no politician has come out publicly against it. More than 70% of Ghana’s 30-million population are Christian, and Christian leaders strongly support the bill.
Difficult words: hold out (to last in a difficult situation), non-binary (an identity that is neither male nor female), gender reassignment (the process that involves surgery and hormone medicine, and it changes a person’s physical sexual characteristics to match their gender identity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos