Giant Christmas cake – level 1
Dresden is a city in Germany. The city is famous for its cake. It is the Christmas stollen cake.
Sixty-five bakers prepare a giant stollen cake. It is three tonnes heavy. The bakers make it for 3.5 weeks. They use one tonne of flour, 750 kilograms of butter, 200 kilograms of sugar, 1.5 million sultanas, and many litres of rum.
There is a Christmas festival in Dresden. It happens at a square. The bakers move the big cake there. People cut the cake. They must use a big knife. Then people can buy a piece of the cake.
Difficult words: giant (very big), flour (white powder which is used for making bread and cakes), sultana (a small piece of dried fruit).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you celebrate Christmas in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.