Giant slide in a shopping centre – level 3
If you’ve ever felt too lazy to take the stairs or escalators down in a shopping centre but wanted more of an adrenalin rush than a lift will give you, this shopping mall in China has the answer: a 54-metre slide, shaped like a curling dragon, which winds from the fifth floor to the ground floor of a shopping mall in China’s financial hub city of Shanghai.
To avoid a sudden dive from a height, the slide curves around with a journey from top to bottom lasting just 16 seconds.
Even though it hasn’t opened yet, customers are keen to try it out with some saying they want to bring their kids, though, others wish the slide was see-through. When it does open on the 15th of March, only one person will be allowed on it at a time and riders must be over three-years-old and at least 3.5 feet tall (1 metre).
It’s also free to customers, so your bank balance won’t slide with you.
Difficult words: curling (moving in curls – in a spiral), wind (move in a spiral), hub (centre), keen (excited), slide (this means two things: to go down a surface and when money drops down).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.