Giraffe hits a bridge – level 3
A giraffe suffered severe head trauma and later died in South Africa on Thursday, after its owner drove underneath a bridge on a motorway.
On Wednesday morning, eyewitnesses tweeted photos showing two giraffes being towed in an open lorry container. They then reported that one of the towering animals had hit its head, as it travelled under a bridge in Pretoria.
The vehicle then broke down and had to wait several hours to be repaired.
Both animals were taken to a vet, but one died on arrival. The second giraffe was uninjured.
A spokesman for The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals confirmed that the giraffe had sustained a head injury, but said that an autopsy was necessary to determine the cause of death. An investigation has now been launched, and the spokesman said the investigation so far shows that the transport used was inadequate and incorrect. Those responsible for transporting the giraffes could face criminal charges.
Difficult words: severe (very serious), tow (pull), towering (extremely tall), autopsy (examination after death), transport (movement from one place to another), inadequate (not good enough for a particular purpose).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.