Giraffes eat ice – level 3
Giraffes at a zoo in Skopje, North Macedonia, were treated to refreshing ice blocks from their keepers in the high summer temperatures.
Casper and Floppy, who arrived in Skopje three years ago, were licking frozen ice blocks filled with onions, leeks, apples, carrots, and zucchini, all freshly prepared in the zoo kitchen.
A heat wave swept across North Macedonia with temperature reaching up to 40 degrees Celsius. Last week, the temperature dropped to 31 degrees Celsius; however, it’s forecasted to rise up again. Zookeeper Aleksandra Spasovska said that although the giraffes came from Africa and they could endure a lot of heat, caretakers were looking for a way to cool them down.
Difficult words: zucchini (a long thin vegetable with a dark green skin), sweep (to move quickly and powerfully), endure (to experience something unpleasant for a long time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos