Girl Becomes Goddess – level 3
Hindu priests chose a three-year-old girl as Nepal’s next goddess, or ‘Kumari’, meaning that she will now live in a temple to bring good fortune to the country. Crowds of worshippers gathered to catch a glimpse of her during a religious ceremony.
A panel of Hindu priests chooses a goddess for a period of nine years. The panel chose Trishna Shakya, the current goddess, due to her horoscope and physical perfection from four other finalists. The predecessor left the temple soon after Trishna entered.
Bijaya Ratna Shakya, Trishna’s father, said that this was a very proud moment for him and the family, but he admitted being ‘a little bit emotional’, as this was a difficult time for him.
Difficult words: worshipper (a believer), gather (come together), glimpse (a quick look), panel (a group of special people), due to (because of), predecessor (somebody who precedes – exists before someone else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.