Girl Is Healthy Again – level 3
About eight months ago, 15-year-old Joey Martin started getting headaches. At first, she was told it was migraines; however, a CT scan revealed a tumor on the stem of her brain.
Dr. Douglas Graham, Chief of the Cancer and Blood Disorders Center in Atlanta, said that thanks to advances in medicine, it was possible to cure children in a way that was less toxic and had less side effects to the patient. Scientists have discovered a type of antibody that they use to cut off the blood supply to the tumor and make it shrink.
Every second of her fight against cancer, Joey dreamed of getting back onto the field and playing soccer. Last month, it became reality, and her parents said that what Joey had done was an absolute miracle.
Difficult words: CT scan (a series of X-ray images taken from different angles that allow doctors to see inside a body), stem (the central area of a brain), antibody (a protein or a small part produced in the blood that fights diseases).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you think that rugby should have tackling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos