Girl is saved – level 3
A seven-year-old Colombian girl who went missing in the jungle nearly three weeks ago and was thought to be dead has been found alive. The young girl went missing in northern Colombia’s natural reserve Tayrona Park where she was collecting coconuts with her parents.
After an 18-day air and land search from hundreds of officers, the seven-year-old was located after an anonymous tip-off was made to the family. She was discovered in an abandoned hut in the jungle.
Authorities do not know how the little girl arrived at the abandoned hut or how she survived her jungle ordeal but said she was found in a bad state. Injuries on the girl’s feet indicate she may have travelled long distances. The girl was reunited with her worried parents on her way to hospital where she is receiving medical treatment.
Authorities are investigating the girl’s disappearance amid questions over the anonymous call made to the police and how the seven-year-old survived in the jungle.
Difficult words: tip-off (a piece of information), abandoned (without any people), hut (a small, simple building), ordeal (a terrible experience).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.