Girl stops a kidnapper – level 3
In Florida, US, Jared Paul Stanga attempted to kidnap an 11-year-old girl named Alyssa Bonai.
Security camera footage recorded her playing in grass next to a road while she waited for the school bus. A white van drove by her, and then a minute later, it came back.
Stanga jumped out of the van and threatened her with a knife as he tried to pull her to the van. She pushed him off, kicked and tripped him, and wiped the homemade blue slime that she had been playing with on him. Then they both ran away from each other. Later on, the police found the suspect by tracing the license plate on his van and saw the blue slime on his arms.
Bonai said she learned from the TV show ‘Law & Order SVU’ that you need to leave evidence behind to help catch a criminal.
Difficult words: trip (to fall when your foot hits something), slime (unpleasant thick liquid substance that some people use as a toy), suspect (a person who possibly did something wrong), trace (to track).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.