Girl with leukaemia – level 2
Leukaemia is one of the most common childhood cancers. One girl spent the first year of her life fighting it. Doctors tried chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants, but these methods failed.
The doctors had to try something completely new. They took healthy cells and added genes which kill cancer. They also removed DNA from the cells, so the girl’s body could not see them and attack them.
The new method worked and the girl is much better now. Her mother said that she is very energetic.
Doctors must further test the method so they can use it on more patients.
Difficult words: bone marrow (the material in the middle of some bones), cell (the smallest part of a living thing), gene (a part of a cell which controls it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news about this girl?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos