Glasgow robbery – level 3
This video footage shows the moment shoppers in Glasgow fled in terror on Tuesday, as armed robbers tried to smash their way into a jeweller’s, in broad daylight.
The gang of masked thieves, armed with hammers, targeted the Argyll Arcade which houses 30 jewellers and diamond merchants, at about midday.
Smoke filled the historic city centre mall as the gang triggered anti-raid alarms, causing shocked customers to run outside in sheer panic.
A security guard, dressed in his traditional uniform, complete with a top hat, can be seen trying to apprehend the gang.
Their getaway, through thick smoke, was captured on video by stunned shoppers who were reportedly warned that they would be killed unless they moved.
Witnesses said the suspects, who were wearing black and grey clothing, ran off down a nearby lane.
Police are now investigating and are appealing for anyone with information to get in contact.
Difficult words: footage (video), flee (run away), merchant (somebody involved in trade or selling things), trigger (cause a device to function), raid (rapid surprise attack), sheer (absolute), apprehend (arrest), stunned (shocked), reportedly (according to what people say), appeal (request).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.