Goats stop fires – level 3
Landowners in California, US, are turning to herds of goats as a unique, environmentally-friendly tool to clear debris.
Goats clear away brush that could become fuel for fires, and they eat a lot. A single 45-kilogram goat can chow down 5.5 kilograms of brush in a day, so a herd of about 560 adult goats can clear about 3,000 kilograms.
At Mike Canada’s California ranch, there are about 10,000 sheep and goats who wait for their turn to ride the trailer to their latest deployment. With wildfires intensifying in recent years, Mike’s business is booming. Goats can stretch their necks up to 2 meters, biting branches and low-lying leaves. They eat poison oak, and they can clear rocky cliffs, which is something livestock cannot do.
Hundreds of public agencies, businesses, and private owners across the state have turned to these goats because it’s much easier than mowing or using chemicals. A lot of food for a goat is a lifesaving tool for humans.
Difficult words: debris (things which you need to clean), chow down (to eat a lot), deployment (the movement of people or equipment to a place for action).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos