Good News about AIDS – level 1
HIV is a virus. In 2016, around 1.1 million people in the USA have it. The HIV turns into AIDS if they do nothing. They can get pills if they go to a doctor.
The pills can stop the HIV. You do not get AIDS if you take the pills. However, you must keep taking the pills. You cannot get completely OK.
Scientists are working on a cure. They make a big step forward. They use a new method. They try it on mice. They cure nine out of 21 mice.
Difficult words: cure noun (something which ends a sickness and makes it go away), step forward (work well and find something good and new), cure verb (end a sickness and make someone better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos