Good News about AIDS – level 2
Scientists from the USA made an important breakthrough in treating AIDS. They used special technology which can edit the genes, and they removed the HIV virus in nine out of 21 mice.
Now, the scientists are testing the method on primates (animals like big monkeys), and they want to try the method with people in 2020.
Around 1.1 million people had HIV in the USA in 2016. Right now, people can take pills which stop HIV so they do not get AIDS. However, this does not make them healthy and they must keep taking the pills.
Difficult words: breakthrough (a big step forward in medicine), treat (to stop AIDS or make it go away completely), gene (the information inside a virus or inside our body which tells the virus or parts of our body what to do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.