Gorillas Get Coronavirus – level 3
Several gorillas at the zoo safari park in San Diego, California, US, tested positive for the coronavirus in what was believed to be the first known case among such primates in the US and possibly in the world.
According to the park´s director, Lisa Peterson, the infection appeared to come from a team member who had tested positive for the virus; however, he was asymptomatic and he wore a mask at all times around the gorillas. Aside from some congestion and coughing, the gorillas were doing well. They were given vitamins, fluid and food; however, they were no given any specific treatment for the virus.
The safari park added more safety measures for its staff, including requiring face shields and eye goggles when working in contact with the animals. Wildlife experts expressed concern about the coronavirus infecting gorillas, an endangered species that share 98.4% of their DNA with humans, and they are inherently social animals.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.