Government in Italy – level 2
The League party and the Five Star Movement ruled Italy by a coalition. Giuseppe Conte of the Five Star Movement was the prime minister.
The League party quit the coalition and there was no government. Then it called for a no-confidence vote against the prime minister. Many people saw this as a move to make Matteo Salvini, the League party’s leader, prime minister.
Prime Minister Conte resigned before the confidence vote could happen. Matteo Salvini did not become the new prime minister. In the end, the Five Star Movement made a coalition with the opposition Democratic Party, and Giuseppe Conte will still be prime minister.
Difficult words: rule (make the rules, be the “boss”), coalition (when two parties work together), no-confidence (a vote if the government is fit to be in power).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos