Government in Italy – level 3
The League party, led by Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, is an Italian populist party which was in power. They were in coalition with the Five Star Movement whose Giuseppe Conte was the country’s prime minister.
However, Salvini’s party withdrew from its power-sharing coalition and it shut down the government. Salvini then called a no-confidence vote against the prime minister. Many people saw this move as a way to force snap elections for Salvini to become prime minister.
Prime Minister Conte resigned before the confidence vote could happen. The Italian president Sergio Mattarella consulted with the opposition Democratic Party and Five Star Movement leaders.
While they were opponents in the past, they worked through their differenced and they agreed to form a new government. They agreed that Giuseppe Conte will be prime minister again. They now need to agree on policy and a team of ministers.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.