Greek olive growers have problems – level 1
Greek olive growers have a hard time. The weather is bad this year. This year’s harvest may be 50% less than last year’s.
Prices of olives and olive oil are going up. Thieves are stealing more because of this. Panagiotis Tsafaras grows olives. He checks his groves twice every day. He wants to stop thieves. In one incident, thieves steal over a ton of olives. This problem is new to the area. Growers start using cameras and GPS to watch their olives. Thieves come at night. They are very quiet.
Greek police say that such incidents are all over the country. Greece is the third-biggest olive oil maker in the year.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are Greek olive growers taking to prevent theft in their groves, and what impact is this having on the country's production as a whole?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.