Greek police find famous paintings – level 2
Nine years ago, someone broke into a Greek art gallery, and he stole three famous paintings. Last week, police recovered the paintings and they showed them to journalists.
One of the paintings was Head of a Woman, a painting by the Spanish painter Pablo Picasso. There was a message from Picasso on the back which said ’For the Greek people, a tribute by Picasso’. This meant that it would be impossible to sell the painting.
Greek police found all three paintings in a bush land, and they arrested a 49-year-old builder. He broke into the gallery through a balcony door.
When police showed the paintings to journalists, the Picasso painting fell off a shelf. One of the officers put it back quickly, and he did not wear gloves which would have protected the painting.
Difficult words: break into (to gets into a building or car to steal something), recover (to get back), tribute (when a person officially says or shows that he likes or respects someone or something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.