Green Card Lottery – level 1
Many people want to come and live in the US. However, they must get a green card. A green card is a document. People who have this document can live in the US.
The US government has a special program for these people. Every year, a lottery takes place. The US government chooses around 50,000 people. These people get the green card.
The government chooses these people randomly. The idea is to bring many different people to the country. In the past, the US president is not happy with the lottery. He says that the government must choose people with good skills.
This year, the president makes changes. He stops the lottery. Many Americans are without a job. The reason is the coronavirus. Right now, the president does not want more people to come to the US.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.