Green Flight – level 3
German airline Lufthansa said that it would become the first airline to operate a CO2 neutral cargo flight.
According to Lufthansa, it was possible by using so-called sustainable aviation fuel for the flight. Peter Gerber, the chairman of Lufthansa cargo group, says that a flight becomes CO2 neutral if it uses biofuel which already includes CO2. However, Gerber does not expect biofuel to become used more widely anytime soon because it is between three and six times more expensive than conventional kerosene.
Global oil demand has been crushed by this year’s events and it may never fully recover. It leads to the closure of refineries and forces some companies to opt for cleaner alternatives that convert plants to produce biofuels.
Difficult words: aviation (the operation and production of aircraft), kerosene (a light fuel oil that is used mainly in jet engines), refinery (a factory where oil is made purer).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos