Greenland Is Losing Ice – level 2
This week, scientists said that Greenland lost 586 billion tons of ice last year. It was a new record, and Greenland is melting faster than ever before.
586 billion tons of ice are 140 trillion gallons of water. It is not easy to imagine the amount; however, scientists say that it would be enough to cover the US state of California in more than four feet of water.
Scientists believe that melting ice is the result of climate change. It is a dangerous situation for some parts of the world because when the ice melts, the sea level rises. Scientists say that some islands will disappear under water. Last year, water from Greenland’s ice added 0.06 inches to the world’s sea level. Maybe you think that it is not so much water; however, when you imagine how big our world is, the number is really big.
Difficult words: melt (when something turns into liquid), climate change (changes in the earth’s usual weather and temperature), disappear (when you cannot see something any longer).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos