Greenland Is Losing Ice – level 3
Researchers say that Greenland lost a record amount of ice last year – 586 billion tons.
A new study says that such an amount would be enough to cover the US state of California in more than four feet of water and that equals 140 trillion gallons. Greenland is melting faster than ever, and the latest record has shattered 2012’s record. Scientists say that this is a direct consequence of climate change.
The melting ice contributes to a rise in the sea level, which could lead to dangerous flooding along coastlines. Last year, Greenland’s melt alone added 0.06 inches to global sea level rise. That may not seem like much; however, according to scientists, it is an astounding number, when you consider how huge our world is.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.