Grenade in the Face – level 3
A soldier is lucky to be alive after a 40-millimetre grenade accidentally fired from a grenade launcher and embedded itself in his face.
The terrible accident happened in Colombia and surgeons had to be especially careful with the operation.
The soldier could not be moved to hospital by helicopter due to the risk of the explosive detonating, so an ambulance transferred him in an eight-hour ride to Bogota.
The team of doctors had to improvise and operate outside the hospital to minimise impact on the building in case the grenade exploded. Luckily, the operation was a success and the soldier could reintegrate into his military unit and his family to make a full recovery.
Difficult words: embed (stuck into something), due to (because of), detonate (explode), improvise (make up how to do something), reintegrate (come back into a group).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos