Group of Chinese in Moscow – level 3
Russian customs thought they had drugs on them, but after detaining 34 Chinese citizens at a Moscow airport, it turned out that they’d mistaken something used to make Chinese tofu for crystal meth, as one of the detained passengers Song explains.
“It’s not crystal meth as some media said, but it a kind of food additive called beton, which people use in making tofu.”
Earlier, Russian media reports claimed he and those detained with him had 230 kilograms of crystal meth on them.
The Chinese embassy in Russia had to get involved. They said the Russian customs carried out tests on the substance to make sure it wasn’t crystal meth. The passengers from China were sent to Russia by a Chinese company in the Northeast. All 34 of them have now been released.
Difficult words: customs (the place where your bags are checked when you go into a country), detain (to stop somebody), crystal meth (a drug), additive (something which you add – put into food), claim (to say), embassy (people who represent their country in a foreign country), substance (a thing, material).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.