Habitat for Seals – level 1
There is a plan to protect ice seals. Ice seals are in danger because their habitat changes. The ice in the Arctic melts. Seals cannot live there anymore.
Officials want to create a special area where the seals can live. This can increase the seals’ population. However, the US president, Donald Trump, does not help protect the seals. Trump wants to do oil and gas drilling in the Arctic. This is very dangerous for the seals. The drilling can harm them.
Officials want Trump to create the special area for seals by September of next year.
Difficult words: habitat (the natural home of an animal of a plant), melt (the process when ice changes into water), population (the number of how many of a person, plant, or animal are alive), oil and gas drilling (the process when people get oil and gas from underground).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.