Habitat for Seals – level 2
On Monday, The Center for Biological Diversity and the Commerce Department prepared a plan to protect two kinds of ice seals.
These seals are on a list of endangered species because their natural habitat is changing. The climate change means that the ice is melting fast.
The Center wants the government to create a special area for the seals; however, it says that Trump’s administration does not help to protect seals. Trump’s administration plans to open more land for oil and gas industry in Alaska. This is bad news because oil spills are dangerous for the seals.
Monday’s deal wants the Trump administration to create the area for the seals by September 2020.
Difficult words: endangered species (kinds of animals of plants which are in danger and may stop existing), habitat (the natural home of an animal or a plant), oil spill (an accident in which oil gets into the sea).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.