Hailstones kill a small girl – level 1
Last week, heavy storms hit Catalonia, Spain. Hailstones hurt about 50 people. They hit people’s head, break their bones, and they make bruises.
Hailstones kill a girl. She is 20 months old. She dies in a hospital. Officials say that the event is a tragedy.
The storm lasts only about 10 minutes. It is still very dangerous. It damages cars and roads. The hailstones are very big. They are more than 10 centimeters big.
Hailstones usually fall between March and September. This year’s summer is very hot. The Mediterranean Sea is warmer than usual. More and worse storms happen.
Difficult words: hailstone (a hard ball of ice, which falls from the sky), bruise (a blue mark on the skin), tragedy (a very bad and sad situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos