Hailstones kill a small girl – level 2
Last week, heavy storms hit the north of Catalonia, Spain. Large hailstones injured about 50 people, and they killed a small girl.
A hailstone hit the 20-month-old girl on the head. She went to hospital, but she died some hours later. People reported head injuries, bruises, and broken bones.
Storms also damaged houses, windows and electricity cables. The hailstones were as big as a fist; they were the biggest in the last 20 years. Scientists said that hailstorms happen all year, but they happen most often between March and September.
A very hot summer warmed the Mediterranean Sea more than usual, and storms were heavier.
Difficult words: hailstone (a hard ball of ice, which falls from the sky), bruise (a blue mark on the skin, which usually appears when you hit something), fist (a hand with its fingers closed tightly in).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.