Hailstorm in Italy – level 2
It looked like something out of a disaster movie. Hailstones the size of ping-pong balls pummelled Italy. A person filmed one video at sea around Naples.
The hailstones broke windows, roofs and car windshields. They injured some people and animals, too.
A sudden change of the jet stream caused the hailstorm. The jet stream is a very strong wind which is high above the ground.
Difficult words: disaster (a situation which destroys many things), hailstone (a piece of frozen rain), pummel (to hit very hard again and again).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this weather?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos