Hailstorm in Italy – level 3
It looks like something out of a world-ending disaster movie, but this was the scene on the water around Naples in Italy on Saturday as the area was pummelled by hailstones the size of ping-pong balls. The hailstones, which were well over five centimetres in diameter, came hurtling out of the sky, smashing windows, roof tiles and car windshields, as well as leaving several people and animals injured.
According to meteorologists for weather.com, the storm was brought on by a vigorous southward plunge of a jet stream carved into Western Europe, sending a potent upper disturbance to the Italian peninsula on Saturday. That instability then charged up thunderstorms over the Mediterranean Sea which swept into Italy and caused the hailstones.
Difficult words: pummel (to hit hard and repeatedly), hailstone (a piece of frozen rain), diameter (how big something round is), hurtle (to move at fast speed), vigorous (strong), plunge (a drastic fall in amount), jet stream (very strong winds high above the ground), carve into (to be in place very strongly), potent (powerful), disturbance (when something is disturbed – when something stops a peaceful condition), peninsula (a piece of land almost completely surrounded by water).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos