Hailstorm in Russia – level 3
Beachgoers in Russia got more than a bit of suntan when a freak storm sent them running and screaming for cover.
On one of the hottest days of the summer, the skies opened up, plunging huge chunks of hailstones into the ground and sea.
Shocking pictures show the moment the weather took a dramatic turn, as people ran for cover, one woman can be heard saying if we die I love you.
Strong winds swept across the beach, and temperatures suddenly dropped from about 40 to 22 degrees Celsius.
As the river and beach were pummelled from the skies, children cried and screamed in horror, cowering under trees.
Towels, beach umbrellas and blankets were abandoned, as people ran to save themselves.
Despite this freak storm, no injuries or deaths have been reported.
Difficult words: freak (very unusual and unexpected), plunge (bring or send), huge (very big), chunks (piece), hailstone (small ball of frozen rain), pummel (hit many times), cower (crouch down in fear).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.