Hainan towers – level 2
The Evergrande Group is one of the largest developers in China, but it also has the largest debts in the world.
The company started to build 38 buildings in Danzhou City, China, as a part of a project on the Ocean Flower Island. The island is even bigger than the Palm Islands of Dubai. Last year, the Chinese media reported that Evergrande built the houses illegally because the company did not have a building permit. The company owed 300 billion dollars to other companies, and it offered to sell them some of the houses and apartments on the island.
Local authorities did not agree with this, and on December 30, they decided that the company had to remove the buildings within 10 days. It means that destruction should start by January 3.
Difficult words: developer (a company which buys land and builds houses), debt (money which someone has to pay to somebody else), building permit (an official document which says that a person or company can build a building somewhere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos