Handprints in a Maya cave – level 1
Scientists find handprints in a cave in Mexico. The cave is near the famous Chichen Itza. Many black and red handprints are on the wall. They are children´s handprints.
Scientists believe that the handprints are a part of a special ritual. The colors are very important. Black represents an end. Red represents a person´s life among other people. Scientists believe that the ritual happens when a child becomes an adult.
The handprints are more than 1,200 years old. The Maya culture is so strong and rich at that time. Millions of Mayas still live in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.