Harbin Ice Festival – level 1
People hold a festival in Northeast China. It is the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival. Harbin is a city. Japan, Canada and Norway organise other ice festivals.
The biggest attraction is an ice slide. It is 300 metres long. It is made from blocks of ice. People take these blocks from a frozen river. They put lights in the ice. The lights make the ice colourful.
There is also a snow slide. It is shorter. It is 150 metres long. People like it. They wait for hours to ride on it.
Difficult words: be held (to happen/to be organised), attraction (something that many people like and visit), slide (something like a small road on a hill; you ride down the hill and have fun).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to visit this festival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.