Harbin Ice Festival – level 2
Harbin is the coldest provincial capital in Northeast China, and people hold the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival there. They founded the festival in 1985 and now it is very famous. People celebrate other festivals like this in Japan, Canada and Norway.
The biggest attraction at the festival is an ice slide. It is 300 metres long and it is made from blocks of ice people took from a frozen nearby river. At night, the ice is lit up by colourful lights.
Another attraction is the 150-metre-long snow slide. Some people wait for hours to ride it.
Difficult words: found (to start a festival/organisation/company etc.), attraction (something that many people like and visit), to light something up (to make something colourful and look nice by using lights).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to visit this festival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.