Harry Potter starts 20 years ago – level 2
Twenty years ago, the popular first Harry Potter movie came to cinemas titled ´Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone‘. The first in eight movies, it introduced fans to the world of wizards, and the movies became one of the most successful series.
Graphic designers Miraphora Mina and Eduardo Lima worked on the whole series, and they still remember one of their first props. It was Harry’s acceptance letter to Hogwarts School.
21 years ago, people had different technologies, and it was not as usual to use computers for special effects. Therefore, it was more difficult to make the effects look realistic. Designers and special effects artists used sets, props, and models which they built themselves.
The two scenes which worried filmmakers the most were the flying broomsticks and the candles floating in the air. With all the work, the results were great, and both effects looked very realistic.
Difficult words: prop (a thing which actors use in a film or play), acceptance letter (a letter which a person gets from a school, and it says that he can study there), realistic (when something looks as if it were real or true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.