Harry Potter starts 20 years ago – level 3
November 16, 2021, was 20 years since the release of the popular film ’Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone‘.
The Hogwarts acceptance letter was one of the earliest props; Graphic designers Miraphora Mina and Eduardo Lima designed the letter. They also worked on the whole series. Designers achieved many of the special effects through the analogue way with sets, props, and models built by hand.
Filmmakers wanted to get as much reality into the first movie as possible, and the first two things that concerned them were flying broomsticks and floating candles. 20 years ago, the development of CGI was much less, so it was much more challenging to make some scenes look realistic.
However, the effort was worth it, as all eight Harry Potter movies grossed 7.8 billion dollars.
Difficult words: prop (an object that’s used on the set of a play or film), analogue (not involving the use of computer technology), CGI (computer generated imagery), gross (total, without deduction of tax).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.