Hate crime in Australia – level 1
In Sydney, Australia, two men attack another man. They kick him and shoot him four times. This happens outside a gay club. A security camera films the attack.
The attack happened in 2013. Now, there is a trial. People show the video at court.
The men injured the victim, but he lived.
Difficult words: kick (to hit somebody with your leg), trial (a situation when people tell a criminal if he is free or if he must go to prison), court (the place for trials), injure (to hurt).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this attack?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.