Hate crime in Australia – level 3
This CCTV footage shows the attempted murder of an Australian man outside a gay sex club in Sydney. The horrific video shows the victim running and crawling away from two masked men who kick him before shooting him several times. Later in the video, the victim appears to run into the club via an access door to get away from the men.
The incident took place in May 2013 outside “Arrows” nightclub located in the Sydney suburb Rydalmare and has been made public after it was shown at the trial of a man charged with attempted murder. The suspect pleaded not guilty to five charges, including shooting with intent to murder.
Local media have said that the Arrows club is a secure, relaxed environment where gay and bi people can meet and socialise together 24 hours a day.
The Crown prosecutor told the court the victim sustained numerous injuries, including a ruptured kidney and lacerated liver but survived being shot four times.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), attempted murder (trying to kill somebody), crawl (to move on the hands and knees), bi (bisexual), Crown prosecutor (a lawyer who acts for the country of Australia), ruptured (broken), lacerated (with tears or deep cuts).
What do you think about this attack?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos