Have a nap in Hong Kong – level 3
It’s said that we’re a sleep-deprived generation. And some Hong Kong businesses have come up with an idea to counter this problem: nap lounges. Swinging merrily in cocoon-like hammocks, these young professionals have taken a step back from the stresses of working life to have a breather and catch up on some sleep.
Living in a city that never sleeps doesn’t mean that you can’t. Hong Kong is pricey, cramped and crowded – finding a tranquil space is hard come by, at any hour, and especially by the hour. And costing just $1.30 for an hour of shut eye and some peace in the midst of a hectic day has got the city’s residents excited.
“It’s something very new to me. And the experience is fascinating. I mean I haven’t experienced this kind of lifestyle before. So all in all, I enjoyed it.”
Whilst people may be latching on to the concept of a nap lounge, their viability and longevity is less certain. Only time will tell if these businesses will see their dreams fulfilled or have their plans hit the snooze button.
Difficult words: deprived (if you are deprived of something, you do not have enough of it), counter (to do something about), merrily (happily), cocoon (wrap), hammock (a bed in the air), breather (a rest), tranquil (restful, calm, quiet), latch on to something (to be excited about something and to start doing something), viability (ability to be successful), longevity (long existence or service), snooze button (to turn an alarm off temporarily so you can sleep longer).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos