HBO Takes Away Movie – level 3
HBO Max is temporarily removing the “Gone with the Wind” movie from its library.
The movie is a love story that takes place during the American Civil War. It is considered an American classic; however, it also draws controversy for its depictions of slavery.
HBO Max called the movie a product of its time. An HBO spokesperson said that the racist depictions were wrong then, and they are wrong today, too. The network thinks that to keep the movie in its library without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.
HBO Max plans to add the movie back to its library later; however, there will be added historical context.
Difficult words: controversy (a public disagreement that involves different ideas or opinions about something), depiction (the way that something is represented or shown), denouncement (when something is formally declared evil or morally wrong), a product of its time (something that you can see is from a long time ago; the things it shows do not show what people think now).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.