Healthcare workers and COVID-19 vaccine – level 3
New York hospitals began firing or suspending healthcare workers for defying a state order to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
As a result, staff shortages led some hospitals to stop certain surgeries or curtail services, as around 15% of the state’s healthcare workers are not fully vaccinated. New York’s state health department gave an order last month mandating that all healthcare workers receive at least their first COVID-19 shot by September 27. The vaccination push comes as the US President Joe Biden pressured unvaccinated Americans, and some of them do not want the vaccine because of religious or health reasons.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said that the city hospitals have not yet seen a major impact of the mandate, adding that he worried more about other areas of the state where the vaccination rates were lower. New York Governor Kathy Hochul said that she was considering employing National Guard to fill the need for healthcare work.
Difficult words: defy (to openly resist or refuse to obey), curtail (to reduce), mandate (to officially order).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos