Healthy HIV Patient – level 1
A patient in London is very ill. He has HIV. HIV is a dangerous virus that attacks the human body. There is no cure for this virus.
Scientists say that they cure a patient with HIV. It is the second time in history when this happens. The patient has HIV and blood cancer.
Doctors transplant stem cells into his body. They use a special therapy. The therapy helps cure the HIV and the blood cancer, too.
Scientists are very happy. However, the therapy is not good for every patient. It is possible only for patients with blood cancer.
Difficult words: virus (a type of sickness or an illness), cure (a medication or something that makes a person healthy), transplant (to put a part of the human body into another human body), stem cells (the smallest parts of the human body that can change into many different body parts).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.