Healthy HIV Patient – level 2
A patient in London had HIV. Scientists announced that they cured the patient, and that they used a special gene therapy. There is a gene called CCR5, and some people have a different form of this gene. It is special because HIV does not affect it.
The patient had HIV and blood cancer. Doctors found a donor who had the different form of the gene. They transplanted stem cells into the patient’s body, which helped cure both the cancer and the HIV. For the last 30 months, the patient did not show any signs of HIV.
The therapy is new, and it gives hope to other HIV patients. However, scientists said that the therapy is not suitable for all patients.
Difficult words: gene (a part of the cells in the body), donor (the person who gives a part of his body to somebody else) stem cell (a small part of human body that can change into many different body parts).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.