Heavy floods hit Europe – level 3
Severe flooding has caused devastation in Germany, Belgium, and other European countries.
Flash floods swept through the Swiss villages; however, no loss of life has been reported. In a western German town, several people have died after houses collapsed when the ground beneath them sank suddenly. Over the past days, floods have cut entire communities from power and communications.
In Germany, the death toll rose to more than 150 people last weekend as emergency services continued their search for many hundreds more still missing. In Belgium, 24 people reportedly died, and emergency services in the Netherlands also remained on high alert as overflowing rivers threatened towns and villages.
These floods are Europe’s worst natural disaster in more than half a century.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.