Heavy floods in Bolivia – level 1
In October, it started to rain in Bolivia. Now it is flooding. The floods make a lot of problems. The situation is serious. A lot of people leave their houses. Twenty-five people die.
The middle and north of Bolivia have the most floods. An area called Pando is in the north. A river there makes many people leave their houses. A few people die.
The Bolivian government helps. It sends food, beds and soap. It also sends tents. People live in the tents inside of schools. People worry that there is not a lot of room.
Difficult words: flood (when a lot of water covers a place that normally doesn’t have water), government (the “bosses” of a country), worry (to be sad and think about something bad a lot).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does it flood where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos